Saturday, August 29, 2015

I Guess This Shouldn't Surprise Me, But...

I was at the library with the kids, and we were trying to remember the title of a book that we previously checked out.


So I strode up to one of the librarians with my NYPL card and asked her to check my transaction history.

"We don't keep a record of that," she said, "for privacy reasons."

I was briefly annoyed, though I understand the rationale of not having a government entity track your reading habits. (Even if it feels very antiquated in the age of Amazon, the NSA and social media.)

But all was not lost. Elliot gave her a vague sense of what the book was about, and she scoured the library looking for it.

After 15 minutes, the librarian found the book!

The message: Librarians are awesome...and I guess it's good that we still have some vestige of privacy in this world. (Even if we don't always appreciate it.)