Sunday, May 10, 2015

If Baby Names Were Stocks...

Whenever the Social Security Administration releases new naming data, I check to see if my own kids' names have risen or fallen.

Well, I'm happy to report that all three of our picks continue to climb the charts.

I once wrote a Nameberry piece on how choosing names is like choosing stocks. In that spirit, my three "stocks" have done pretty well. But they probably wouldn't have made me rich enough to retire on. (I should have bet everything I had on Khaleesi.)

Elliot was ranked 356th when we picked it. The name is now 217th.

Alice went from 257th to 97th.

And Lucy climbed from 72nd to 62nd.

Some people don't want their kids' names to get too popular, and I understand that impulse. But you also want to bet on a winner.

It's nice to know that America agrees with my decisions.