Saturday, February 07, 2015

Cities Visited: 2014 Edition

I'm more than a month late with this, but it's become a tradition to list the cities I've visited in each year — part of a competition with fellow blogger Anh-Minh (in a sign that I'm winning, she also appears to have forgotten to do it).

Boston's Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge.

One thing that's useful about this exercise: It really forces you to work your memory. You'd be surprised, but it's actually hard to remember all the places you've been in a given year. (And I'm not even counting the towns I passed through; the rule is you can't list a city unless you've slept overnight in it.)

I used to rely on Google Calendar to help me remember, but now the most effective tool is Instagram. After all, I'm basically incapable of visiting another city without taking a bunch of pictures of it.

Anyway, here's the list:
1. Chicago
2. Santa Cruz, Calif.
3. Marietta, Ga.
4. Newnan, Ga.
5. Boxboro, Mass.
6. Northeast Harbor, Maine
7. Scituate, Mass.
8. Philadelphia

Not too bad a number. That's an above-average tally for me in recent years. (Let's face it: Once you have three kids, you become an immobile blob.)

But my 2015 hasn't been much of a whirlwind so far. I haven't left the borough of Manhattan once! I should probably at least run an errand in Queens or something.