Monday, January 12, 2015

Cheerios Commercial Shows #HowToDad

I came across this Cheerios commercial called "This is #HowToDad," which appealed to me on multiple levels.

First of all, I've probably consumed more Cheerios than any other food in my lifetime — as a child, then as a 20-something guy who could barely use a kitchen, and finally as a dad.



I also identify with the father in the video. I mean, that's my life. Since I started composing this blog post, I've been pulled away to find a child's yaya and called upon to put hydrocortisone on two different kids' rashes.

Even so, I wonder about this attempt to target dads. For years, cereal companies exclusively went after mothers. The old slogan for Kix is: "Kids love Kix for what Kix has got. Moms love Kix for what Kix has not." No one gives a crap what dads think.

I guess times are changing. I did do the grocery shopping for the family twice over the weekend. (In fairness, it was because I neglected to buy the necessary items the first time.) But I'm still not sure I have much sway in terms of what brands/products we purchase in this home.

Maybe Cheerios is just hedging its bets with this campaign. They're promoting it with their Twitter account, but it's only aired on national television twice. So I guess it's a low-cost strategy.

Regardless, any commercial that begins with a horse head in the bed has my support.