Friday, August 22, 2014

I DIdn't Hear Ya, So I Suppose I Will Not Holler

Back in July, I was sad to hear that the Tupac Shakur musical was closing on Broadway just a month after it opened. Now it almost seems sadder still to be seeing the ads for "Holler If Ya Hear Me" on MTA buses a month later.


I realized too late that I was the ideal audience member for this musical. I'm a West Coast-representing New Yorker who came of age in the 1990s and loves both hip-hop and theater. How on Earth was I not there on opening night?

Instead, the musical went the way of Tupac himself — gone too soon. In fairness, it got lukewarm reviews and there may have been a better way to present Pac's work. The musical wasn't even about his life. According to the official description, it was a "a non-biographical story about friendship, family, revenge, change and hope."

I still feel like there's demand for a hip-hop musical, especially as more 1990s kids reach middle age.

Perhaps something about a teen from Compton who goes on to sell his headphones company to Apple for $3 billion? I could definitely see "Forgot About Dre" on a Broadway marquee.