Sunday, July 13, 2014

Little Green Men (But No Women)

A couple years ago, I reported on an exchange I had with our 4-year-old neighbor. She asserted that any creature with wings had to be a girl.


Well, I had the flip side of that discussion this morning with Alice, 3. She spotted this green woman on a plastic cup and asked about her.


"Who's that, Daddy?"
"Some kind of alien."
"But it's a girl."
"Aliens can't be girls?"
"No."
I was taken aback by this, but I guess our culture mostly presents aliens as male. They're called Little Green Men, after all, not Little Green People.

So now I'm on the hunt for good female alien role models for my daughter (there's a sentence I never thought I'd type).

I came across this video on the "Top 10 Sexy Female Aliens," but it doesn't seem appropriate for a 3-year-old.



There's always the female alien from "Aliens," but murdering an entire unit of Colonial Marines is not the kind of behavior we're trying to pattern for Alice.



This may take awhile...