Wednesday, May 28, 2014

More Thoughts on Hazel and 'The Fault in Our Stars'

I did another guest blog on the Nameberry site, where I expanded on my earlier post about Hazel. I examined whether the excitement surrounding "The Fault in Our Stars" would do for the name what "Love Story" did for Jennifer.


The short answer is no.
...but it should give a bump to a name that’s already enjoying a renaissance. In the just-released 2013 Social Security data, Hazel climbed fifteen spots to No. 157. Not bad for a name that until the late-1990s had fallen out of the Top 1000 for two decades.
You can read the whole thing here.

As for "The Fault in Our Stars" movie, I'm not sure if I'll actually see it or not. Frankly, the trailer makes it look like a Nicholas Sparks film.



After reading "The Fault in Our Stars," I didn't come away with the notion that it was a literary classic. But it was thought-provoking, moving stuff — far better than typical young-adult fiction. (The title turns a line from "Julius Caesar" on its head: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.")

The casting and look of the movie doesn't seem to fit the book's edgy sensibilities. But I do give them credit for not ridding Hazel of her nasal cannulas.

2 comments:

Mike G. said...

Just read a story on 538 that's right up your alley:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-tell-someones-age-when-all-you-know-is-her-name/

:)

Nick said...

I saw that. Really cool analysis.