Monday, November 25, 2013

The Plaza Hotel's Gigantic Trompe L'oeil

If you do happen to visit the sculpture I mentioned it my last post, be sure to look over at the Plaza Hotel. The landmark building is draped in a gigantic piece of artwork that is arguably more impressive.

Photos courtesy of NBC New York.

As part of a renovation of its exterior, the hotel is covered in a mural that looks just like its facade. The first few times I saw it, I imagined I was looking through a transparent cloth at the windows beneath. But when I got close enough, I discovered it was a drawing.


From the NBC New York site, which posted some video of the artwork:
The 62,000-square-foot mural is the size of one-and-a-half football fields. The hand-drawn architectural rendering was printed on fabric and attached to the construction scaffolding.
It's a pretty cool trompe l'oeil and makes me do a double-take every time I walk by.