Friday, May 17, 2013

Gender Wars Over Pre-K Television

Like good Berkeley parents (transplanted to Manhattan), we're trying to raise our children in a gender-neutral household. So I've become increasingly disturbed by the kids' very different taste in TV shows.

We let the children watch a limited amount of television via Netflix. It used to be that the kids would agree on what they wanted to see. No longer. Elliot typically chooses either "Mighty Machines" (which I've described before) or "Dinosaur Train."


Alice always, always, always chooses "Angelina Ballerina."


Every morning, there's a battle between them over what gets watched. So we've had to institute a turn system where "Angelina Ballerina" alternates with "Dinosaur Train."

I didn't expect the kids' preferences to become so clearly divided this early. I mean, they're only 4 and 2. (Lucy, thankfully, has yet to express her wishes in this area.)

I've already mentioned the reasons why ballet-obsessed Alice might find "Angelina Ballerina" appealing (it doesn't help that there's a character on the show named Alice), but still...

I'd expect the new generation to be a little more progressive.