Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Tradition, Tradition

This was our first Christmas away from my parents' house and the first time since the mid-'80s that I've spent the holidays outside of California. Let me tell you, there's something odd about waiting for Santa in a town that doesn't have "Santa" in the name.

As we found with Thanksgiving, having the holidays at our house means being able to create new traditions  and discarding some of the old ones.

We have a new set of stockings that Kelly bought. They're very cute, even if they have approximately the same capacity as a child's tube sock. (This is still America, right? I require a larger stocking.)


I also was sad that we're no longer honoring my family's long-held practice of saying, "This is the worst Christmas ever" at some point during the holiday. (The perfect moment this year would have been during the Netflix outage, but I held off.)

Kelly did manage to find one of these spinning angel chime things. This object was a mainstay of every Christmas I can remember, and it added some continuity and nostalgia to our family's first solo Christmas.


For me, at least.

Elliot asked if it was a menorah.