Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Remembering Where You Came From, or Not

Having a 3-year-old around is a bit like living with someone with dementia: You can't really count on them forming long-term memories.

When we moved from San Francisco to Berkeley, Elliot soon lost all recollection of our time in the city (to be fair, he was only 2 at the time).

Now that we're in New York, he's struggling to recall what our life in Berkeley was like. He remembers his friends and school, but not much about the town or what we used to do there.

I was talking to him about the farmer's market in Berkeley, and he couldn't remember it. He couldn't remember going to the library, the neighborhood park or seemingly anything else.

I became upset that this time in his life was being erased right before my eyes.

"Well, what do you remember about Berkeley?" I asked.

He paused.

"You, Daddy."

And he gave me a big hug.

Ah, little guy. I guess if he's going to have selective memories, at least I'm one of them.