The new cars are coming none too soon. BART says it has the oldest fleet of any transit system in the country. (I'm assuming Muni's cable cars are excluded from this ranking.)
The designs look pretty cool, but you have to wonder about the implications of going with BMW.
1. Will BART be pressured to service its cars at the dealer, even after its warranty has expired?
2. Are urban youths going to start stealing BART medallions to wear around their necks?
3. Will BART riders use this to pick up women? "Hey ladies, I came here in a BMW."
4. What, BART is too good for Volkswagen?
5. How soon before the jokes start? "This BMW rides like it's on rails." "What's the difference between a BART BMW and a porcupine? The pricks are on the inside."
I hope transit officials will take these issues into consideration.