Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crazy for Babies

As I've mentioned before, some of the people in our neighborhood get really excited when they see Elliot. There aren't many young children around, so he tends to stand out (and I think some people mistakenly think he's a leprechaun).

But sometimes people get a little too excited.

We were walking down Folsom and a nice homeless guy with no teeth came up to Elliot and started waving and smiling at him. It was hard to understand most of what he was saying, but it was something like, "I love babies because they're the future and hope and whatnot."

Then he had a fun idea, which is that we should walk ahead with Elliot and the man could sneak up behind us and scare him. I wasn't sure this was necessary, since I think Elliot was already sufficiently scared. But it's a free country, right?

So the man chased us for a bit, and Elliot took the whole thing in stride. He has no idea what's odd and what isn't — and as long as we live in this neighborhood, he probably never will.

Then the man asked if we wanted him to draw us a family portrait. Kelly declined this offer and we finally broke away from him. I couldn't really understand what he was saying at the end, so I didn't weigh in on the portrait idea.

Maybe if it had been a classy "Family Ties"-style painting, I would have agreed.



UPDATE: A recent column in the SF Appeal was critical of San Franciscans "bragging" about all the crazy people they encounter.

Hmm...am I the kind of person who does this? There was this post, and this one and this one.

Maybe I need to do some soul searching now.