Friday, July 03, 2009

Don't Ever Do This

Today I went to the library to return some books. It wasn't open yet, so I dropped the books in the after-hours slot.

I realized later that one of the books I "returned" was actually my book, not the library's.

I went back to the library and explained the situation to some guy at the desk. He looked at me funny and then went and talked with his supervisor, who made more funny faces (hello, I'm right here). Then the guy spent five minutes rooting through some pile of books in back.

After not finding it, he told me that it had probably already been donated to the Friends of the Library: "But you can feel good, see, since you made a donation!"

Does everyone know that if you return a book that doesn't belong to the library they automatically treat it as a donation?

Good thing I didn't drop my watch in there accidentally...or Elliot.