Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm Not Special

For a good portion of my life, Cheerios was one of my favorite foods. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And this continued well into my 20s (it might have continued indefinitely if someone hadn't come along).

I would use it as a feel-better-about-yourself cleansing food. Like say, if I ate a giant bag of Sweet Factory during an MST 3000 marathon, I would just top it off with a tumbler of Cheerios and then I'd feel healthy again. So I was disturbed to learn this week that Cheerios isn't as healthy as General Mills claims.

But what really disturbed me was when I read that Cheerios is the most popular cereal in America. Really? Not corn flakes or raisin bran or Wheaties or some kind of oatmeal?

I mean, I always knew Cheerios was up there, but I still thought I was a bit edgy to be eating it. Like it was for cool outsiders.

I had this same feeling when I learned that Snickers is the most popular candy bar in America. I love Snickers, and I always thought it reflected a more sophisticated palette. I mean, wouldn't the everyman go for a Hershey's bar or maybe a Three Musketeers? Surely they wouldn't want to mix nuts, caramel and nougat? That's too classy for Joe Sixpack!

I guess now for consistency's sake I should start drinking Budweiser and driving a Honda Accord (maybe not at the same time).

UPDATE: Apparently the Honda Civic is actually the best-selling car in America — not the Accord.

And the best-selling beer? Bud Light (at least as of 2007).

BuboBlog regrets the errors.