Monday, March 02, 2009

Where's Illinois?

I've been collecting state quarters since the U.S. Mint began issuing the coins in 1998. Why? Because I'm one bad-assed dude.

When Elliot was born, I decided to step up my efforts to get all the coins, so that I could pass them down to him as a family heirloom (hey, we're in a recession — this is the best I can do). My mother-in-law even provided me with this nifty album.



Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an Illinois to save my life. I have every other coin except for Hawaii (that one shouldn't be hard to pick up since it's the most recently minted one).



The Illinois coin was minted seven years ago, so it's gotten scarce. I'm scared that I'll never see one. I guess I could order it on eBay or something, but that seems like cheating.



Even if I get Illinois and Hawaii, my work may be far from over. Now I'm seeing that they're doing quarters for the District of Columbia and five territories. When was this announced? Are they just trying to squeeze a little more cash out of poor saps like me? Was a quarter commemorating the Northern Mariana Islands really necessary?

So if anyone has an extra Illinois, let me know. I'll pay a hefty premium over face value (shall we say, 400 percent?).