Saturday, August 09, 2008

BuboBlog Reviews 'Pineapple Express'

We went to see "Pineapple Express" tonight. I was afraid it was going to be mobbed, since the last few Apatovian films we've been to were super-crowded. But it didn't seem to be sold out.

I'm wondering if it's because the target audience was sitting on their collective couch at home and asked, "Dude...was there a movie we were going to see tonight?"

Suffice to say, the people in attendance were so high, you wondered how they got there. I went to the bathroom and found a guy laughing like a hyena as he stared at his hands under the faucet. His friend was saying, "Dude, stop it. I'm going to pee on you, I swear."

I was afraid the movie wouldn't be as good for those of us who were sober, and maybe it wasn't, but there were plenty of laughs (favorite line: "You threw up in my printer"). I also enjoyed the soundtrack, which featured such songs as "(I Know I Got) Skillz" by Shaquille O'Neal and "Poison" by Bell Biv Devoe. I feel like a good portion of my cassingle collection from the 1990s was represented.

Beware, the movie is disturbing violent. I think that element of the film has drawn some criticism, since people think it detracts from the movie's good-time nature. But I say, if you're going to go violent, you might as well go disturbingly violent (severed ears, scalded faces, people crushed by Daewoos). It was a valid creative choice.

I'd give it three asterisks *** (out of four).