Friday, July 04, 2008

Do-It-Yourself Yogurt

Frozen-yogurt shops seem to be spreading like the plague, but I recently found an interesting variation on the concept: do-it-yourself yogurt.

There's a place called Icebee on Mission Street (across the street from Bloomingdale's) that lets you swirl your own yogurt -- any mix of flavors you like -- and add toppings yourself. Then they charge you by the ounce.

Awesome! I may have gone a little overboard on my first trip. I mixed five different yogurt flavors and then added pretty much every topping they had (cookie dough, sprinkles, peanut-butter cups, Cocoa Krispies, etc.). I also put in some raspberries so I could convince Kelly of how healthy it was.

When Kelly and I put our two yogurts on the scale, the cost came to nearly $12! Fortunately we didn't weigh them individually, so I was able to claim that Kelly's was heavier.

Anyway, cool concept. Kind of expensive, but at least you feel like it's your fault when you pay a lot at the end.