Monday, May 19, 2008

Riding the Metro

We had a great tourguide for our latest trip to D.C. (BuboBlog District of Columbia Correspondent Liz) and got to see some new neighborhoods.

On Saturday we rode the Metro and visited U Street, a hip area filled with restaurants and clubs. Riding the D.C. Metro is always a little funny because it's basically Bart -- only slightly nicer. Bart was first, though, so I feel like we can claim to be the Disneyland to their Disneyworld.

D.C. metro planners also seem to have a problem with excessively long station names. The one we got off on U Street was called "U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo" station. What a mouthful!

And maybe I'm revealing my own ignorance here, but I didn't even know there was a civil war between Africa and America. I feel like I would have heard about this.